His car is sick, very sick. The total amount of repairs that they recommended was long and expensive. We went through each item, chose those of highest priority, and are having those fixed. It will still be expensive, but at a level where we can stretch to pay it. With one car that doesn't move - we need to get it donated to the VA and get rid of it, a second car (DH's) that is old and falling apart even though it doesn't have a huge amount of miles on it, and my car that is the youngest of the bunch but with over 100,000 miles, we can't count on that either. So, we need something new. But, we didn't win the lottery, so we'll just have to make do for a while more.
So the final prompt for B2ME came through last night and I can combine the last three into a single piece of work which I will start this morning if I have some free time. I can at least begin the research because this story will deal with the fall of Rome and that will require some reading to feel confident about the structure around which I will build my storyline. I'm also trying very hard to catch up with the backlog of stories that people have written. I kept up with them until last week, but then fell behind. It's been a wonderful experience, though.